Dentures have transformed countless smiles, offering a functional and aesthetic replacement for missing teeth. At Hopefield Family Dentistry, we believe that with the right care, your dentures can serve you efficiently for many years. Read on to discover tips on how to care for your dentures.
Essential Denture Care Tips
- Daily Cleaning is a Must — Just like natural teeth, dentures can accumulate plaque, tartar and stains. Rinse them after every meal and brush them at least once a day with a soft-bristled brush. Avoid regular toothpaste, which can be abrasive; instead, use a gentle denture cleaner.
- Nightly Soak for Retention — Most types of dentures need moisture to retain their shape. Soak them overnight in a denture solution to prevent them from drying out and misshaping.
- Handle with Care — Dentures are delicate. When cleaning or adjusting them, do so over a folded towel or a sink full of water to cushion any accidental drops.
- Protect from Extreme Temperatures — Exposure to hot temperatures can warp dentures. Keep them away from direct heat, and never use boiling water to clean them.
- Routine Dental Checkups — Regular visits to Hopefield Family Dentistry are vital. We can help check the fit of your dentures, make adjustments if needed and inspect for any signs of oral issues.
- Give Your Gums a Break — If possible, remove your dentures for a certain period daily to let your gums “breathe.” This can help reduce the risk of fungal infections like denture stomatitis.
- Use the Right Products — Always use products labeled as safe for dentures. Avoid bleaching agents, abrasive cleaning materials and hot or boiling water.
Warning Signs: When to Visit Dr. Paul Huffaker
While dentures are designed for durability, they are not immune to wear and tear. If you notice any of the following, it is time to come see our dentist and team in Centerville, Utah, for a checkup:
- Cracks, chips or other visible damage
- Discomfort or pain while wearing them
- Loose-fitting dentures causing sores or irritation
- Persistent bad odor even after cleaning
Ensuring the Best for Your Dental Health
Proper denture care is pivotal not just for the longevity of the dentures, but also for your oral health. At Hopefield Family Dentistry, we are dedicated to ensuring that every aspect of your dental wellbeing is looked after. If you have any questions about your dentures or would like to schedule a visit with Dr. Huffaker, please give us a call at 385-245-8247.